It’s been four years since I released Among the Olive Groves, a book that I worked incredibly hard on and poured my heart and soul into, and it meant so much to me that releasing it made me incredibly anxious, I had no idea if anyone would read it or even like it. I worried that it just wouldn’t be good enough but I persevered anyway, as the story was too important for me not to publish it, so finally after a lot of hard work it was released in July 2014 (Paperback August 2014).
Now four years on I am both humbled and overwhelmed by the response Among the Olive Groves has received both here in the UK, and internationally and I can’t believe the support I’ve received and I’m very grateful.
Here’s a little snapshot of the amazing things that have happened since July 2014:
- Among the Olive Groves has sold thousands of copies worldwide
- Among the Olive Groves has been bought and read in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, USA, UK
- In 2016 Among the Olive Groves won an historical fiction award
- The book text has also been used for TIE International ESOL exams in Greece
- Among the Olive Groves is available in my local public and college libraries
- I’ve received hundreds of wonderful reviews and personal messages from readers and often see people recommending it to others on social media
- I’ve been interviewed about the book on the radio in both the UK and Greece
- I’ve been interviewed about the book for podcasts in the UK, Greece and USA
- I’ve been interviewed about the book for Book Club YouTube videos in the UK
- Among the Olive Groves was featured in a Huffington Post interview
- Among the Olive Groves has appeared at book Festivals and Book Club Events
When I wrote Among the Olive Groves I never imagined that things would go so well, it was simply a book that I had to write, because the story was so important to me that it needed to be told. Sometimes I still pinch myself, as I can’t quite believe it happened. I truly appreciate the incredible support, I know I couldn’t have done any of the above without it. Most of all though, I thank people for loving the book the way they do, that means the absolute world to me.
Among the Olive Groves is a very special book to me and I’ve come to realise that it is to many other people too, so much so, that many readers have asked for a follow-up to be written, so I’ve agreed I will do one (more information below!). Among the Olive Groves always will have a place in my heart and I hope that it continues to bring joy to many more readers over the next four years. Thanks for sticking with me!
A Night of Thunder (Follow-up to Among the Olive Groves)
***Spoilers ahead for those who may not have read Among the Olive Groves yet!***
Earlier this year I made the decision to write a follow-up to Among the Olive Groves, after many requests from readers. There was never meant to be one, Among the Olive Groves was only ever meant to be one story/one book, but so many readers desperately want to know what happened to the character Athena. So, I’m now researching and writing the highly anticipated follow-up which will be called A Night of Thunder. The story will be set in Bristol (UK), the island of Zakynthos and on mainland Greece. I have planned the whole story and readers will not only learn more about the character Athena, but also the brave British Airman Richard, and his life away from the war and Greece. The story will drop in from the moment that Richard leaves the island with Athena and we will travel through time and Athena’s life, learning where she went, who she met and what she did. I’m enjoying the research and have started writing the book already, publication date has not yet bee set, but more news will be added to my facebook group Chrissie Parker Book Group, when I have it.
- What was your favourite thing about Among the Olive Groves?
Chrissie is an author who loves history and enjoys travelling and days out exploring. www.chrissieparker.com